Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pinned on my big girl bib and ran my first Full Marathon!

This day has been a year in the making as it was September 25, 2011 as I was standing at the start line of the Quad Cities Marathon waiting to run the Half. It was when I saw fellow Cornbelt Running Club member holding the pacing sign for a 5:25 marathon finish. It was the words "Same day" on the other side that seemed to be all I needed to crossover to The Dark Side...running a FULL marathon. Ask any of my friends and relatives. Up until that moment I said I would NEVER run a full. All of that changed.

It was the Air Force Marathon at Wright-Patt AFB located in Dayton, OH that I chose for my first. That particular racing event holds great meaning as hubby Jim and I had a wonderful experience there in 2011. Also the fact that we are an Air Force vet's parents helped seal the deal. I registered for the Full on New Year's Eve at 11pm when AFM registration opened up. I did it and it felt right.

Our daughter-in-law and my running partner eventually voiced her wish and desire to now fulfill her dream of running a Full. Then son Matt decided he would like to run his 2nd HM at Air Force. It wasn't long after that hubby Jim decided to jump from running a 5k to a 10k. The plans were set and registrations done.

After a long HOT summer of training we packed up the family truckster and headed to Dayton, OH on Friday September 14, 2012. Earlier that week Matt, son Hayden and then Emily had varying degrees of the tummy bug. We were hoping that would not have any impact on their races and you always have that in the back of your mind.

After a typical Rose drive we arrive at the Wright State University Nutter Center for the AFM expo and packet pick up. First we find Team Fisher House's booth to pick up our goodies for reaching our fundraising goal and to meet the Team Fisher House staff. We felt like celebrities as we introduce ourselves as team Rose Runners. They loved us!!!! We received out TFH running jacket and duffle bag...two very useful items that we will indeed use!



Next stop, the floor of the arena to get our goods. I get my Big Girl Bib and my hands start shaking because it says right there. Laurie Rose #3722 Full Marathon. Oh mee gee!!! What have I gotten myself into??? It isn't long and I snap out of it. We meet up with Wendy and Becki from Georgia that Emily and I absolutely LOVE!! We met them at Space Coast Marathon at Cocoa, FL last Thanksgiving and we were anxious to see them again. After talking with their friend George and freaking me out with the hill descriptions we are on our merry way to our hotel.

We get settled in and I finally get to meet Cindy Bohse from St. Louis who had driven up to run with us during our first Full. Buddy Catherine from Austin, TX  and her husband flew up from Austin, TX to run also. I have known these two ladies since 2009 and they have been my Jeff Galloway mentors all this time.

Clocks are set, things laid out and attempt at sleep commences. I surprised myself and did get some sleep and better than I thought I would. It's time to get up and I am very very very nervous and fidgety. In fact, I am shaking. We head downstairs and I finally get to hug Catherine and meet her hubby David. So special!!!! We all head to our cars to make the short drive to our parking spot.

We make our way to the TFH tent as they truly cater to their fundraising peeps. We get our own gear check, food, beverages and post race massage. On top of that we get cheerleaders along the course!! I need more cowbell!!!! They also take their own photos of us before, during and after the race. So awesome!






After hitting the poopalots a few times and shedding extra clothes we head to the starting line and it is COLD. I am uncontrollably shaking and shivering due to the temps but mostly nerves. I have never felt like that before. The National Anthem is played and the B-2 bomber makes the flyover. Off we go! Emily and I are running our first marathon wearing our big girl bibs!!! Giddy!!!




We make it up The Hill that ended up to be not bad at all. It looks alot worse on the elevation map than what it really was. With all of the company the miles click off comfortably and we are truly loving the experience. At mile 10 we are now in the downtown area of Fairborn and these folks love the AFM runners!!! We had a blast running through that area and wish it had lasted longer.







The course is now back on base and heading towards the operational runway area. That is really interesting to Emily and I as we have been around it in the past and it felt like old home week for Emily after living on base in Anchorage for a few years. We are all loving life.




We are now getting in to the sun and the temps are warming up. This is about mile15 and Emily is starting to feel a little tired. As the miles tick off she is starting to seriously feel the fatigue and we stay tight with her so we can keep an eye on her. With the flu earlier in the week she was starting to run out of steam. That was my biggest fear. Leaving her was NOT AN OPTION as she is my loved one and running partner. I will NOT leave my wing man. We take turns keeping her going just one foot in front of the other. Reaching mile 17 and counting down in single digits helped for a while. I will have to remember that tactic for future use!











For me, I am feeling great and everything is checking out with no discomfort except for the top of my foot starting to ache somewhat. I am thinking that is from my feet swelling. I find out from Dr. Lake this week it is from the outside of my lower leg getting tight. Too bad I can't take my Tiger's Tail with me to roll that area out during the race LOL.

Miles 23 and 24 are tough as they are actually hillier than the beginning. Add the fact that it is starting to really warm up and we are now pretty much walking 95% of the time. We wog on the downhills and do our best to keep Ems going towards the finish. I am feeling so badly for her because I knew how strong she was during the long hot summer training runs. I also knew just how badly she wanted this so she was doing some serious digging in to her soul to just keep going.

We reach mile 25 and we are re-entering the gate with the finish line in sight. You just have to go around a loop to get to it. Hubby Jim and Matt are there waiting for us at mile 25 and Matt runs Emily in to the finish. That was such a special moment and you just had to be there to witness them running to the end.

The finish line is crossed, Garmins turned off, smile for photographers and tears start flowing. We did it! Emily and I are true blue marathoners and although our time is not what we wanted, we still did it. Finishing time was 6:58-and change and that just leaves plenty of future opportunities for PR's!!!











After gaining our composure we head over to the TFH tent for our hard earned massages that was heavenly. After that we ultimately get back to the hotel and I head for the pool. That in itself was incredible as I am by myself trying to wrap my brain around what we just accomplished. It's almost too much. What was surprising to me is how I didn't react the way I thought I would. It was actually quite strange as it felt normal and I did what I set out to do. Call it being confident. I KNEW I could do it. Sure, its felt scary and at times it still feels scary but I can do it. I did it!!!!




The Stats

I would like to take this chance to thank all of my friends for coming out and cheer us on. I would especially like to thank Cindy and Catherine for making the journey to run with me. The memories of AFM weekend are wonderful and believe me, there will be more marathons with you two in the future. Cindy is already twisting my arm! Little Rock anyone?

Will there be more? Heck ya!!! In fact, I will be running marathon #2 next weekend that starts just 20 minutes from home. It's my favorite...the Quad Cities Marathon starting in downtown Moline, IL. This race course runs through two states, crosses two bridges, run through four cities and an army post. How awesome is that? I just had to do it, right? Oh and after full #2 I qualify for marathon Maniacs which I want more than I can convey. it will happen and my qualifying email to the Marathon Maniacs staff is ready to send Sunday afternoon post race.

One more item that is pretty cool is that son Matt will qualify for Half Fanatics after running the HM of the QCM with wife Emily. Emily and I are HF members and now Matt. Cool!!

That is all for now but this is not the end of my story as this is just another chapter in my book. It's a huge chapter but still just one. I have many many more chapters to right in the future. For now, I want to thank God, my family and my friends for being patient with me while I am on this journey. Because of them, I am truly blessed.

Until next time...

Be giddy!

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! LOVED reading this blog!! and all the pictures are great!!! congratulations,Laurie!!! You did awesome and so did that DIL of yours!!! YIPPEE!!! someday I'm going to put on a big girl bib ,too , and run 26.2!!! that's another sticker I want in my van window!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU DID IT!!!! So proud of you and Emily, Laurie! Way to go!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO SO SO SO PROUD OF YOU!!! These pics are amazing. You look great the whole way. I agree with you on the part about NOT leaving Emily. I feel awful because she had been so sick before because I know she would have felt much stronger. You totally rock Laurie!!

    ReplyDelete