Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Madison Mini Half Marathon ~ Aug. 18, 2012

Let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE this racing event and this is my second year participating. This is the Madison Mini Half Marathon held smackdab in the middle of the University of Wisconsin in Madison, WI. Being an avid Iowa Hawkeye fan, this opportunity opens up all sorts of possibilities and I do indeed take advantage of that LOL.

Last year, Jim and I ventured up to Madison and stayed at Lowell Center which is one of the official campus hotels. The starting line is literally right outside the front door. Plus, if you get the right room you have a gorgeous view of Lake Mendota. This year, I brought Emily with me and left Jim at home. So once again, the girls go on a trip unchaperoned AND Laurie drives with Emily and Pirate Guy as navigators.

We head up in the morning and after making a pitstop at a gas station in Zwingle, IA we are back on the road. I will leave the gas station dude story to Emily LOL.

We are in Madison and ready to make the turn north to get to downtown. After pretty much ignoring the GPS I finally snake my way to the union for packet picukp. I also scored an illegal parking place that was very close to the union. I am starting to live on the edge at my age LOL. I also make my running partner nervous. So she says.

We make it to the expo and I just have to have a photo taken behind Bucky Badger.

Very gutsy thing to do as an Iowa Hawkeye fan

We head upstairs to packet p/u and retrieve our packets and also score some $5 tech shirts from Madison Mini pasts. Awesome! By this time Emily is getting nervous and wants to get back to the illegally parked car.

Now is time to make our way from the expo to the Lowell Center. Well, that only took one turnaround. Not bad, huh? We settle into our AWESOME room with an awesome view.



We now decide to head to The Terrace where there are all things fun and beer. I know Emily was not sure what to expect but she quickly decides that she found heaven on earth. It is just a short walk from our hotel so that is great. We find a good spot to people and water watch of which we did for at least 2 hours.

 Yes, Emily sporting her U of Iowa colors proudly in a sea of Bucky Badger red

 Doing what I do best

 There is so much to this story but too long to tell~learning to windsail

Emily's feet in Paradise

We are now ready to seek food and beverage so its to the Memorial Union we go. Burgers are purchased along with beverage. Yummy beverage at that.

Mmmmm...beer!


It's time to head back to our room to chill and settle in for the evening as early morning comes well...early. We are both in bed at a racer's time and next thing we know the alarm is going off.

It's time to gear up, fuel up and get downstairs to meet up with Elsa and Christina. Right on time and they are there. I love these two girls and we always manage to meet up at least once a year if not more. After photos and last minute prep its time to head to our corrals.
We aren't there very long and its go time! The weather is gorgeous and the temps a little chilly but perfect. Emily and I are using this as a marathon training run so our 14 minute mile is the plan. That would make thgis a 3 hour half marathon. Easy peasy. The miles tick off quickly and so far Emily is really enjoying it as I am too just like last year.
One item I do need to mention is my Garmin Forerunner chest strap is getting too big!! I am working out and my chest/waist is shrinking allowing my strap to fall to my hips. That does not make for a great heartrate on the Garmin LOL. I will now just stop wearing it.

 Emily sporting our Iowa Hawkeye colors!


I
 I LOVE this photo because of the guys. I know we are HAWT!!!!

 Doing what we do best...posing together for the same photographer LOL

 Love what I do!



 Turning off the Garmin at the finish

 It's all about the bling, babee!

The volunteers are awesome for this event and this year was the same as last. There is plenty of water and Gatorade at all of the stops. I take my handheld but still take advantage of the stops for refills. This was an easy HM but then again we are running it at a 14m/m pace. Hey, we don't run for speed, we run for fun!!! If you don't have fun then what is the point?




We meet up with Elsa and Christina at the finish only to find out that Christina took a nasty fall during the HM and boogered up her knee. I felt so badly for her as she was on the road to another possible PR. Sorry about that, RB!

So, after eating and drinking post-race we say our goodbyes and head back to our rooms to clean up for the drive home. We need to be out of the room by 11am and we hit it right on the mark.

I want y'all to know that I made it out of Madison with no problems and no turning around.

I will run Madison Mini again next year!



Next up is our final loooong long run on Saturday for a distance of 22 miles. We will run that in Wilton just like our 22 miler two weeks ago. There is even a 5k race in the middle of it!

Until then...

Toodles!

ps...Our family (hubby Jim, myself, DIL Emily and son Matt) makes up Team Rose RUnners for team Fisher House at the Air Force Marathon Sept. 15. Team Fisher House raises funds for Fisher House Foundation that serves Military member and their families. PLEASE consider making a donation and helping Team Rose RUnners out! We would deeply appreciate it!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your story, Laurie. Sounds like a great time. Most of the photos, you have a terrific smile, which is so great for others to see that within the challenge is the reward. Sure, there is bling at the finish, but the journey can be just as satisfying. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this blog!! and the pictures are great! I was racing that morning,too! The race sounds great and the views of the water are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete