Sunday, July 1, 2012

Marathon Training Week 5 Day 1

Today's scheduled training run was a 14 mile long run and I planned on joining the Cornbelt Running Club's marathon training group that I belong to. Since I am THE slowest member I opted to crank out 4-5 miles at home before heading over to join the group. I did not sleep well at all last night and just watched the clock. The alarm was set for 4:30am and when the time came I got up, dressed, fed and out the door in the early morning light.


I planned on a 14 m/m pace and stuck with that as closely as possible. Instead of 2/1 run-walk interval I switched it to 1/1 and it worked very well and it felt great.


After hitting 5 miles I gathered my gear and headed across the river to join the crowd. It just felt like it was going to be a great morning and I was not disappointed.


I set out at my 14 m/m pace and tried my darnedest to stay at that pace and not keep up with my fellow runners. I finally grabbed a good groove and just ticked the miles off quickly. I was still feeling fantastic at mile 9 and thoroughly enjoyed the bike path, fellow runners and my own running.


I was even able to visit with a few members and that made the time go even quicker. At mile 13. 93 I reached the shelter house and noticed I wasn't at 14 yet so I set off to the west and kept going and going and going until I hit 15.25 miles...my longest ever!!!!


I was on cloud 9 and had a serious runner's high going. Why shouldn't I? Today absolutely rocked my running world. I am very honest when I say that I could have kept going! Being the smart runner that I am I stopped at the 15.25 and hit the grub and hydration that is found at our group run. That includes beer but I let that go since I am now 2 weeks alcohol free. Rawk!


Today was going to be a monumental mental day if I could pull it off. I was going to run beyond my longest distance ever and that is huge in order to retrain my brain that we will not stop at 13.1 miles. I was rewarded with my huge success. I feel absolutely fantastic physically and mentally. Today was HUGE!


Stats: 15.25 miles; 3:33:27; 14:00 av pace; 1225 cals torched
Splits: 14:14, 13:42, 14:05,13:47, 13:39, 13:05, 14:02, 14:15, 13:39, 14:29, 14:13, 14:15, 13:55, 14:53 (too much chatting LOL), 13:51


I deem today's long run a HUGE success and I attained the goals I set for today. I am very happy and confident at this point in the game. Next week is a 6 mile cutback week so my body has time to recover from today's new distance. Yay!


Until next time...


Toodles!

6 comments:

  1. You should feel fantastic Laurie! That is quite an achievement. I too am struggling mentally and trying my darnedest to get over it before my first 15k next week! You always inspire me to be a better runner, thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW BABAY!!! YOU RAWK INDEED!!!! :) I'm so proud of you Laurie!

    Where are our pink tennies???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Laurie! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete