Sunday, July 8, 2012

Marathon Training Week 6 Day 1

It's cutback week! Woot! Today's long run is scheduled to be a whopping 6 miles and I think I can handle that LOL. After last week's epic 15.25 mile run I am ready for an easy peasy jaunt. After the broiling temps the past few days we were greeted with comfortable temps this morning and it felt so good.

Jim and I headed to our bike path and arrived at 7am-ish and there were runners, walkers and bikers already out and about. We get geared up and on our way. Jim was going to see how far he could go as he is training for his Air Force 10k and me 6 miles.

I started out and I could tell immediately that my legs were heavy. I am still shooting for my 14 m/m long run pace and I am glad I did. Lead! Granted, there was stiff breeze in my face but what else was at play causing the sluggishness?

I had a banana and a thingy of Greek yogurt and perhaps that was not enough. I ate well yesterday and my hydration was also in check. Legs still recovering from Sunday's 15.25 mile run, the 5k Wednesday and the tempo-ish run on Friday? Perhaps and I am going with that. This is exactly what cutback weeks are for...recovery. I am so grateful Catherine and Cindy reworked our marathon training plans. THANK YOU!

I did take a Clif Shot Turbo at mile 4 to see if that would make a difference for future information and it did indeed seem to help! I ended with a negative split I believe or at least a sprint in the end. Fuel was indeed left in the gas tank. Sweet!

I returned to the truck and Jim was very happy with his 5 mile run and felt good. He is going to start increasing his distances so he is comfortable with the 10k distance.

Off for home toloads of laundry and a trip to WalMart. Yay. Not.

Stats: 6 miles; 1:22:50; 13:48 av pace; 488 cals burned
Splits: 13:52, 13:58, 14:12, 14:02, 13:45, 12:54

Next week is back to epic long runs with a scheduled distance of 17 miles which is new to both Emily and myself. The great news is she is coming up to join me and the group!!!!! Giddy!!!!!!

Until next time...

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment