Sunday, June 24, 2012

Diabetes has entered the building

So, the other day I was grocery shopping with our two grandchildren Addy and Evan (will blog about that next) and I receive a call from hubby Jim. This was in the produce section. He tells me that the nurse called him and informed him he has diabetes. Okay. My stomach did a little flop and I dropped a tomato. Jim had been VERY TIRED lately and we wanted to find out why so he had a physical done along with bloodwork.

That batch of results came back with everything normal except elevated glucose and low Vit D and calcium level. Next step, take supplements for the calcium and vit D. Easy enough. He is also to have the 3 hour glucose test with the icky poo super sweet beverage. Jim has that done and felt pretty good afterwards until later that afternoon when he started to feel like utter crap.

A few days later is when I was in the produce section dropping my tomato. Okay, so I hang up from talking with him and I call daughter Julie to tell her this newest development. That was by the tuna section. She states...well crap, yet another crappy family gene to add to the ever growing list. I then call son Matt and that is in the bread aisle. He has pretty much the same reaction as sister. I then proceed to text daughter in law Emily because I always dump my frustrations on her. Oh and I text my coworker Leanne because I dump on her too. That was the frozen foods section.

After finishing up with checkout I head to the car, load my groceries, get kids in carseats and head home.

What the heck do I Google first I ask myself. I will gladly take this diagnosis over several others because this one is VERY doable and fixable. I have hounded Jim about his crappy diet for a while now and FINALLY he is going to deal with it. That in itself is a great relief. Helping him wrap his brain around this is going to be a challenge. Being a southern boy he likes his fats, sweets and general crap. A salad? Ack. Eating three sensible meals instead of perhaps one giant mess of whatever in the evening? Absurd.

So as you can see this is going to be challenging. He made an appointment with the doctor as instructed but the receptionist put him out 2 weeks and that is with our doctor's PA. So Jim is supposed to continue to feel like crap for two more weeks with no instruction on what to do? I don't think so. He will call the nurse back tomorrow and try and get in sooner. Until then, we will do what we can to clean up Jim's diet and I will try and support him while he gets used to the idea of changing his lifestyle...FINALLY!!!

Until next time...

Toodles!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Laurie! I'm so sorry! Maybe this is the wake up call he needs to get healthier. I wish I could be there to help. I had gestational diabetes with my first, & had to control it by strict diet. Maybe I'd have a few tips to help.... Love you! You all will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Laurie! I am so sorry about your husband. Have you checked out SP's diabetes resources? They're quite comprehensive and could be of some help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darcy, I just may have to take you up on that offer and THANK YOU so much!!! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stepf, THANK YOU THANK YOU for the heads up. I actually went into Jim's Spark account and set it up for diabetic management. I think he is getting ready to dig into his Spark account finally. I looked at all of the info and wow...what an invaluable source of info! Spark is the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie - sorry for the bad news, but hopefully this is just the ticket to getting your man healthy!! You are right - it is fixable and do-able. Best wishes as you navigate these new waters!!!

    ReplyDelete