Sunday, June 3, 2012

My first post! Woot!

First of all...WELCOME to my blog! This is my first stab at blogging so bear with me as I learn the in's and out's of it. I have a story to tell and this is my chance to share where I started with my running, where I have been and what I have learned and what my future plans hold. Strap in, hang on tight and let's let 'er rip!

I have bored so many of my family and friends with my story but I will tell it AGAIN in a nutshell. I was a band nerd in school and was always picked last in gym class. Being an athlete was not even on my radar screen. It was at the age of 50 that something went wonky with the wiring in my brain LOL.

Because I lost my Mom to breast cancer on April 21, 2008, I decided that I had better get a grip on my own health since now I have this breast cancer cloud hanging over my head. I joined SparkPeople in 2007, used it to lose weight and did very well...until I gained the weight again. My blood pressure was getting higher, my cholesterol levels were getting off the charts and I was mentally crappy. Not a good situation at all.

April 2009 I finally kicked it in gear again and restarted with SparkPeople with good nutrition and a fitness program. I walked and walked and walked until one day in June 2009 I decided I would break into a little jog or wog as I like to call it. The rest is history! I came home and made the announcement to Jim that I wogged!!!!

I faithfully added a little more mileage to my runs and then one day in July I decided to register for my first 5k...the Eager beaver Fun Run in my hometown of Wilton, IA at the end of August.

 My first race finish!

 I was such a dorky runner but I quickly learned!

 To make a story short, after that one single race my life changed forever. I fell in love with pinning on race bibs and collecting those bibs. I still have each and every bib I earned...and MANY tshirts LOL.

It was then the Spring of 2010 that I made the decision of training for my first Half Marathon and that would be the Quad Cities Marathon at the end of September 2010. I trained hard (to the point of burnout) that summer and successfully (barely) finishing my first Half marathon. I felt bigger than life and again, fell in love with the HM distance of 13.1 miles.

 At mile 6-ish and feeling strong during HM #1

 My glorious first HM finish!!!

 Tears of relief and joy (really! LOL)!

 It's all about the bling and the beer, baby!!!

As of this morning, I finished HM #19 and officially kicked off my marathon training...GULP! I feel different somehow. Can't explain it but it's there and I am GIDDY!!!

 My bling and earned each and every one!

That is the reason for this blog. I want to tell my story as I am about to take on one of the biggest challenges I have elected to take on. I am excited, nervous, excited, scared, excited and above all...READY!! It was at the starting line of the 2011 Quad Cities Marathon that the light bulb literally turned on in my brain. I WANT to train for and run a Full marathon. Up until that moment that I said to everyone that would listen that I would NEVER EVER want to run a Full. It's pretty funny how life happens, huh?

Not only do I want to share my story, but it is my hope that I can inspire someone with my journey. If I can do this, folks, you can too! Trust me!!!

Until next time...

Toodles!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Laurie, I am so happy to be able to follow your marathon training! You never cease to amaze and inspire me with your hard work and dedication..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to notice that I am mentioned no where in this post. Just sayin'. :)

    I can't believe the difference from the picture of your first 5K fi8nish (nice pants btw) and today's version of Laurie! Also, if my original comment isn't here because you want to approve your comments, then just delete this one! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off to a great start!! I am looking forward to reading how the marathon training unrolls.

    ReplyDelete